Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Just Think!

"Oh, the Thinks you Can Think!" I cannot tell you how many times I have said that phrase in the past weeks, and I'm still not tired of it! Being cast as the Cat in the Hat in Seussical is probably one of the most exciting things ever to happen to me (in Theatre that is). Getting to play the Cat also means getting to play 10 small bit roles in the course of the show including (but not limited to) a Hunter, Dr. Dake, Jose, a Louis Armstrong sound-a-like piano player and more... but that's not ALL! I've also built a group of five fish for the "Anything's Possible" musical number, a Grinch (yes, the one that stole Christmas) mask for "Here on Who", and last, but not least, Vlad Vladicoff for the "Monkey Around/Chasing the Whos" number (whom I also get to perform. making it 11 roles I play). After building all these characters I wanted to build more, there was no time, because rehearsals really kicked in! And I must say I have so much respect for the Ensemble (of this, or any show), having to learn so many dances, so much music, and develop so many different characters, and they help make the show much better than it would have been otherwise.
The principle cast in itself is phenomenal, all 15 members work together to get to where we need to be. From Wickersham Brothers to the tiny Who families everyone works out every little bit of the show until it's perfect (well...almost perfect)! All the relationships in this show, on all levels, have been mapped out so we know what our motive and our purpose is for every scene.
The Cat has been described as Robin Williams with a tail, which really describes who he is. He is a spirit of fun, and doesn't quite know when to quit, getting Jojo in trouble but not losing his to the boring world that is Who.
This show has been the most fun and thoroughly enjoyable shows since I've started working in theatre. I can't wait for this show to open, I have a feeling that the audience is going to LOVE it (almost as much as we do). But I'll find out the first week of March, until then more rehearsals, more dancing, more thinks, more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment